Please find answers to frequently asked questions below:


Can I make a payment over the phone?
Unfortunately at this time, we cannot take payments over the phone but you are welcome to send your payments by mail or to pay them in person.
Can I pay with a credit card?
We do not take credit cards at this time, however, cash and checks are accepted.  Checks should be made payable to Harris County Treasury.
I have a question about my health insurance.
All questions concerning health insurance should be directed to Human Resources. Treasury accepts insurance payments, but does not have any other information regarding benefits.
I need a copy of a check.
Due to deposit procedures, we are unable to provide individual check copy requests.


Can I request a Stop Payment Affidavit through Treasury?

Yes please follow these steps:

  • Check must be outstanding for 15 business days before a stop payment can be placed.
  • Stop payment Affidavits are prepared by Treasury and can be faxed, mailed, or emailed to you per your request.
  • Stop Payment Affidavits over $500.00 are to be signed and notarized by a Notary.
  • Stop Payment Affidavits that are less than $500.00 require copy of ID.
  • After document is filled out make sure to fax, email, or mail documents back to Treasury. Fax # (832)927-0056
  • Once Affidavit is received by treasury, it can take up two 2 weeks for a new check to be reissued.
  • If you would like to have the new check held for you to pick up please note that somewhere on the affidavit, otherwise new check will be mailed to the address you provided.
Can you provide a copy of a cashed check?

Yes check copies are provided by us, please provide check number. (Fee may be charged

Can we check the status on returned checks?

Yes check number is required (A fee may be charged).

How can I get setup for Direct Deposit / ACH?

Please see forms tab in this website.

Need more information on what a check is paying

Please contact Auditing @ (832) 927-4600.

Questions regarding overpayment on taxes

Please Contact Harris County Tax Assessor – Collector: Refunds
Phone (713) 274-8100
Fax (71) 368-2249

Questions Regarding Excess Proceeds

Please Contact Harris County District Clerk.

  • Click on the Court Registry
  • Select Excess Proceeds under Accounting

Their phone number is (832) 927-5800 or visit in person to the physical location: 201 Caroline, Ste 210, Houston, TX 77002.

Address changes / Name changes

Please contact Auditing @ (832) 927-4600